Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Top 25 Patients

  • Here is a list that I found both very interesting and also very depressing that my employer put out listing the top 25 reasons our patients come the ER. As you can see there are very few true "emergencies"that needed to be seen at 3am. The list is in order of the number of cases that were seen during the most recent monitoring period.



  • CHEST PAIN (not a heart attack)
  • ABDOMINAL PAIN
  • ACUTE UPPER RESP INFECTIONS
  • SPRAIN/STRAIN LUMBAR REGION
  • GASTROENTERITIS (diarrhea/vomiting)
  • PNEUMONIA
  • ACUTE BRONCHITIS
  • OTHER GENERAL SYMPTOMS (potpurri)
  • HEADACHE MIGRAINE
  • SPRAIN/STRAIN OF NECK
  • VIRAL INFECTION (a cold)
  • URINARY TRACT INFECTION
  • LUMBAGO (low back pain)
  • OTHER ACUTE PAIN
  • SYNCOPE/COLLAPSE (fainting)
  • ALTERED MENTAL STATUS (drunk,OD to more serious stroke)
  • RESPIRATORY ABNORMALITY
  • CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE
  • VOMITING ALONE
  • ACUTE OTITIS MEDIA(ear infection)
  • OBSTRUCT BRONCHITIS (COPD)
  • ASTHMA
  • SYMPTOM FEMALE GENITAL ORGANS(STD check)
  • DIZZINESS/GIDDINESS (drunk,on drugs)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geesh, I'm certainly glad that I'll never have to worry about being a patient in your un-caring, un-sympathetic, and ill-mannered hospital. My 3 a.m. visit to our hospital with a migraine was quickly assessed as the result from my brain hemorrhage(yes, I have a venous angioma). Glad I didn't end up in your hospital's uncaring hands!!!