Friday, February 29, 2008

Roll of the Dice...

All Kids Must Get Flu Vaccine, Panel Says
Posted: Wednesday 02/27/08 07:58 PM EST
Filed Under:
Health News

Expanding the current recommendation by 13 years, a panel that advises the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says every child in the U.S. between the ages of 6 months and 18 should get the flu vaccine yearly. The prior recommendation was for kids 5 years old and younger. "I think most parents do not understand how dangerous influenza is," says one pediatrician.




****While I totally agree that true influenza can be very dangerous to those that have a weakened immune system, the young and the elderly, I do not agree with wide spread immunization.


While I am an advocate of the CDC's current immunization schedule for the most part, I do not agree with this one. The reason being that the scientist base this immunization each year on a guess, an educated guess but still it is a roll of the dice if it will cover the next years flu strains, as evident by this years flu season where the vaccine only covers 40% of what is out there.

The CDC's other logic for this new immunization is that there will be less time loss for businesses, as their employees won't have to stay home and care for their sick children. Thanks CDC but I have no problem being a parent, and letting my employer know what my priorities are. My children.

So from my family to the CDC thanks for trying to save us from ourselves.. but I will CONTINUE to pass on this immunization for myself and children.

No comments: